Which is more deadly, accidents or terrorism?
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
2010-08-11 00:24:55 UTC
8,000/1 Killed in a Road Accident
Every year 1,500 car drivers and adult passengers die in road smashes,
while around 1,000 pedestrians and cyclists die in road accidents.
Worldwide, over 3,000 people are killed in road crashes daily.

9,300,000/1 Dying in Terrorist Attack
In 2005 there were 651 significant international terrorist attacks
worldwide, killing nearly 2,000 people.

http://www.waystodie.350.com/todie2.htm

Bicycle safety investment: Nearly nothing. Traffic safety: Nearly at
the bottom of the priorities.

Cost of the two wars: 1 trillion dollars. Something doesn't add up
here, right? (besides the number of 1,500 killed a year).

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"There are many dangers in the jungle, but some are preventable"

COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock & the Stationary Bicycle to burn the calories
2010-08-11 02:56:35 UTC
1,500? The number of Americans who died in 2009 was DOWN, to a bit under
42,000 from the prior ten year average of over 43,000, dummy.
Post by His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
8,000/1 Killed in a Road Accident
Every year 1,500 car drivers and adult passengers die in road smashes,
while around 1,000 pedestrians and cyclists die in road accidents.
Worldwide, over 3,000 people are killed in road crashes daily.
I'm quoting so I respect the number. I knew the numbers you provide.

Are we facing traffic safety in any significant way, though, other
than encouraging bigger SUVs?
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
2010-08-11 13:17:29 UTC
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of
Post by His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
8,000/1 Killed in a Road Accident
Every year 1,500 car drivers and adult passengers die in road smashes,
while around 1,000 pedestrians and cyclists die in road accidents.
Worldwide, over 3,000 people are killed in road crashes daily.
9,300,000/1 Dying in Terrorist Attack
In 2005 there were 651 significant international terrorist attacks
worldwide, killing nearly 2,000 people.
http://www.waystodie.350.com/todie2.htm
Bicycle safety investment: Nearly nothing. Traffic safety: Nearly at
the bottom of the priorities.
Cost of the two wars: 1 trillion dollars. Something doesn't add up
here, right? (besides the number of 1,500 killed a year).
Millions of dollars are spent every year on polio vaccines despite that
fact that no one has died from polio in the US for around 30 years.
You're failing to include the lives saved by antiterrorism activities.
As far as your claiming that nothing is spent traffic safety, think of
the thousands of dollars every car has in safety equipment, like air
bags and antilock brakes, the billions spent traffic lights and other
traffic control devices, as well as emergency response vehicles,
equipment and personal, to make our roads safer. And they safer: fewer
people were killed last year in car crashes (around 35,000 in the US)
compared to around 50,000 in years past, despite the fact that there
were more miles driven than ever before.
Don't tell me we don't spend money on traffic safety.
Jeff
The key word is PREVENTION. They are working on making cars safer
(which doesn't make them safer from SUVs) but not on preventing
accidents in the first place...

'It's No Accident: The Real Story Behind Senseless Death and Injury on
Our Roads'

For more than 30 years, the government has been ramming cars into
walls in an effort to make car crashes safe. The public has been
conditioned to believe that seatbelts, airbags and more "crashworthy"
vehicles are the best ways to protect us from harm on the roads.
Meanwhile, the most basic strategies to deter dangerous driving and
prevent crashes have been ignored. "It's No Accident" provides a rare
glimpse into how the government got seduced by the promise of "safe
crashing." It then examines the major factors involved in crashes
today, including speeding, aggressive driving, distractions (e.g. cell
phones) and drowsy driving. The author reveals that many dangerous
behaviors are now promoted by businesses, and that drivers who kill
often walk away with just a small fine. This expose is a must-read for
anyone concerned about what's happening on our roads and how to stop
it.

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/its-no-accident-the-real-story-behind-senseless-death-and-injury-on-our-roads/313110

***

A fraction of that trillion dollar would have been better invested in
intelligence or, again, prevention.
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
2010-08-11 13:55:54 UTC
[...]
Really? States have been changing requirements for the initial driver's
license, requiring more practice before getting a limited license and a
full license. Traffic lights and other control devices are put in place
to prevent crashes. Antilock brakes, stabability control and other
safety equipment *PREVENT* crashes. Laws, if obeyed, prevent crashes by
eliminating stupid behavior of drivers while or before driving (e.g.,
cell phone use and drug and alcohol use).
Both preventing crashes and making crashes safer is important to keeping
our highways safer. BTW, I use the word "crashes" because the word
"accidents" implies that they can't be avoided or prevented. With proper
car maintainence, good driving practices and proper engineering of cars
and highways, crashes can be *PREVENTED*.
Jeff
<copyrighted material deleted>
They can be prevented, but are nearly the bottom of priorities in real
life. The single most important law you can enforce to make traffic
safer is:

LANE DISCIPLINE: Every civilized nation in Europe mandates the
vehicles to pass on the outer lanes, instead of finding the chaotic
struggle to pass on our roads. That's DEADLY CHAOS, and I-95 around
here has been found to be the most dangerous in the nation --perhaps
the world.

Bicycles would also benefit from slowing traffic on the right lane
while allowing somewhat faster speeds on the other lanes. Instead of
30 mph across the board (40 average in real life) make it 25 on the
right and 35 on the other lanes. But don't let those laws sit on the
book, ENFORCE IT... or else like the current enforcing we have, it
would look predatory ($) in nature.
dr_jeff
2010-08-11 14:07:27 UTC
[...]
Evidence that it makes a difference, please. Real evidence. Please show
that I-95 around here (wherever here is) has a higher death rate than
other highways.
Post by His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
Bicycles would also benefit from slowing traffic on the right lane
while allowing somewhat faster speeds on the other lanes. Instead of
30 mph across the board (40 average in real life) make it 25 on the
right and 35 on the other lanes. But don't let those laws sit on the
book, ENFORCE IT... or else like the current enforcing we have, it
would look predatory ($) in nature.
It will look predatory. How do you enforce two different speeds based on
the lanes? It will be nearly impossible.

Unless you have something intelligent to say, I will not respond to you
in this thread. You repeat the same tired arguments over and over.

Jeff
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
2010-08-11 14:13:17 UTC
[...]
According to Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety
Administration, here is a the list of America's Top 5 "deadliest"
highways:

1. I-95, Florida

2. I-76, New Jersey

3. I-4, Florida

4. I-15, California

5. I-10, California

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/west_palm_beach/i-95-most-dangerous-road-in-country
Post by His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
Bicycles would also benefit from slowing traffic on the right lane
while allowing somewhat faster speeds on the other lanes. Instead of
30 mph across the board (40 average in real life) make it 25 on the
right and 35 on the other lanes. But don't let those laws sit on the
book, ENFORCE IT... or else like the current enforcing we have, it
would look predatory ($) in nature.
It will look predatory. How do you enforce two different speeds based on
the lanes? It will be nearly impossible.
Unless you have something intelligent to say, I will not respond to you
in this thread. You repeat the same tired arguments over and over.
Jeff
Read the book above for more information. Driving on the phone is more
deadly than the evil Drunk Drivers, but it is lawyers, politicians and
doctors driving SUVs who do it more.

BAN THE PHONE! Or else everything is a joke. ;)
His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
2010-08-11 15:04:51 UTC
T'is a strange thing also, that if a young man living in some U.S.
city's wishes to maximise his chance of staying alive passed 30, then
he has less chance of being killed by joining the military and moving
to Iraq or Afghanistan!
Life is full of strange wonders!
I don't think low IQ is reason for rejection from the Army, but they
figure it's more dangerous in the inner city and they have a financial
reward in joining the Marines.

And they are proud about something, whatever that is. Once they are
there, though, I think they rather be here.
in2dadark
2010-08-11 22:29:41 UTC
Parking lots are pretty dangerous these days.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock
2010-08-11 22:50:45 UTC
Parking lots are pretty dangerous these http://youtu.be/TZW6FTaeouY
Good thing for SUVs is that they climb over vehicles instead of
bumping them. If an occupant is inside though they rather aim at the
head.
Clive
2010-08-12 01:02:42 UTC
In message
Post by in2dadark
Parking lots are pretty dangerous these days.
http://youtu.be/TZW6FTaeouY
Looks like a typical example of unintended acceleration. (Hitting the
accelerator instead of the brake.) Then disappearing before the owners
of the damaged cars found out.
--
Clive